09 February 2007

Dreaming of a white Oxford

The pay-off for the short days, grey skies and numb fingers has arrived – several inches of it. Amazing!!

When I got up this morning, I was greeted by that beautiful cotton-wool snowfall-silence and this view:

I thought my bike was impressively snowed in...

...until I saw these ones.

Central Oxford looked pretty speccy...

..the Worcester lake froze (note the little ducky footprints in the ice - poor buggers!)...

...Broad Street slowly turned to slush...

...the philosophers all put on wigs...

..the uni parks were a tranquil picture-postcard...

..until the peace was shattered by hundreds of snowfighting students (about 9am)...

...Christchurch Meadow disappeared completely...

...my Krazy Kanadian friend Kate decided to ski to our morning lecture...

...and Ryan tried to pretend that even record snowfalls can't keep him away from learning Chinese. He wants his mum to see this picture.

And, finally, the kids down at Magdalen built what can only be described as a very Oxonian snowman.

I bet he'd lose to an Aussie one though. Hehe.

Ah dear. I'm spent. Get a tan on my behalf, and I'll slide around the footpath on yours.

I will leave you with a word of wisdom from The Prof. We discussed English forerunners of Darwin this morning, including various 'radicals' of whose credentials Pietro is, well, sceptical. Remember to read it with an Italian accent:

“Revolution is like suicide, isn’t it, you either do it or you don’t do it, and when you do it, it is pretty obvious, isn’t it?”

Indeed. All the best to everyone!

3 comments:

John said...

Darwin??, Charles or his very fat grandad Erasmus

Anonymous said...

Hey Jonnie! All that snow and ice looks so very english - I am still so very jealous! I think that we should get the next aucs pubcrawl to come to you. We can stunble through the cold and get then get someone to sponsor us to be put up in that cosy hotel :) yay!
Keep warm, I know we are,
Cassia

Anonymous said...

nice shots of the snow, jon - the one with the fluffy white bikes was my fave. just dont mention the tan, ok? - at the lorne conf and its been around 20, havent seen the sun since last week.
did your nodding trick in the first session and was very thankful im not 7 foot tall :)
- sam